Milen Ivanov wrote:
Unfortunately the recent discussion on Linux distributions came just few
days too late for me. I chose Fedora 8 (Gnome) for my laptop because
Ubuntu setup program could not find its way around the chipset, Debian
appears LARGE (4 DVDs! to have no worry) and no-one I know is on SuSe.

For what it's worth, I still love Fedora. I think it strikes a nice balance between having the latest software and being fairly stable. You just do need to make sure to keep it upgraded, and to upgrade versions regularly, too, since they have a fairly short life-cycle. I'm just frustrated by certain bits related to KDE. If you're going to use Gnome, I think Fedora will be fine, and I can see myself staying with it, even with the frustrations.
Nevertheless, after compiling and installing the latest version of Qt4,
the "from source" installation of LyX is a piece of cake.

Generally so, yes. I regularly compile LyX 1.6.svn for development purposes just using the Qt packages from Fedora.
The only problem was that xdvi seems to be missing from the
distribution, or at least not recognizable. Just installing it solves
the problem. (The one I got has an interface from the good old days, but
in the context of LyX does its job just fine).

[EMAIL PROTECTED] ~]$ rpm -qf `which xdvi`
tetex-xdvi-3.0-44.3.fc8
You can also install kdvi, in the kdegraphics package. It's a nice viewer. Fast, and it supports things like thumbnails and links.
From what I can see so far, LyX on Linux is clearly faster than LyX on
Windows. The latter however is somehow better configured when using the
alternative installer.
If there are other respects in which this is so, other than the failure to find xdvi, then do let us know. DVI is a special case, though. The only two DVI viewers listed in the configure script are xdvi and kdvi. Evince, for example, won't handle it.

Richard