Milen Ivanov wrote:
Dear Abdel,

I'd be interested in a more detailed comparison about the speed.

It is mostly my general feeling, but I have collected some data for a
rather arbitrary example.
1/ I run Linux F8 on laptop with Intel 1.7GHz and XP on Intel 1GHz (both
32bit, of course). Now, they say that both configuration should be
comparable in speed because laptop configuration slows down things.
Anyway even if factor of 1/2 is applied to below figures, the conclusion
is still in favor of Linux.

2/ Of course, this applies to whole configuration: it may be that teTeX
is faster than MikTeX, the viewer is faster and so on.

So, the test is that I opened one of my files: "custom", the
Introduction and the User Guide, clicked DVI and PDF (after that) and
measured approximately how many seconds it will take to show.

OK, this means that teTeX is faster that MikTeX but this does not talk about LyX itself. I was thinking more in terms of startup time, file loading, scrolling, etc.

But thanks anyway for the numbers,
Abdel.