> I wanted my thesis to be proofread at my university, and the language lab
> told me they ONLY accept word doc files. So I am wondering? are they
> trange
> or do I have strange ideas about doc for proofreading? I would have
> expected
> them to work in pdf or hardcopies.

That's frustrating, but it's a common problem. People are just so
"unenlightened", eh?

You could try exporting it as a Rich Text Format document and send it to
them that way. Should go into MS Word just fine. I can't personally attest
that LaTeX2rtf will do everything right in converting a complex thesis file,
but worth a shot. See here:

http://wiki.lyx.org/Tips/ExportingRichTextFormatWithLaTeX2rtf

Now, if they say "we accept only files with a .doc extension", then yes
they're strange (and annoyingly myopic).

-----
David Hewitt
Virginia Institute of Marine Science
http://www.vims.edu/fish/students/dhewitt/