On Tue, Mar 4, 2008 at 3:24 PM, Paul A. Rubin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Paul Johnson wrote:
>  > For many plots in a sub directory "PlotFigures", I have 2 versions,
>  > one in eps version and  one in pdf version.
>  >
>  > With Lyx-1.5.3 on Fedora Linux 8, I'm using a koma-script book format.
>  >  I've run up against this problem inserting graphics.  When I insert a
>  > pdf figure, then in the DVI/postscript output, the output is not good
>  > because there's a big blank area at the top of the figure.  In the pdf
>  > output, the document is good (presumably because the figure was pdf,
>  > the latex processor handles it well).  On the other hand, if I insert
>  > the eps figure in Lyx, then the DVI/postscript output is good, but the
>  > pdf output looks bad.
>  >
>  > I think this is happening because there really is a big white area at
>  > the top of the pdf files, and I will have to remedy that for future
>  > figures.
>  >
>  > But for working with the existing images, what is a good approach?
>  > I've been reading lyx-user archives.
>  >
>  > In some email messages from this list, I see users ask this question
>  > and they are advised to omit the image type from the LyX insert.  LyX
>  > will use eps for DVI output and pdf for pdf output.  I mean, if a
>  > graphic is available as Plot-001.eps or Plot-001.pdf,   then one
>  > should simply insert the figure name "Plot-001" and the LaTeX
>  > processor will choose the correct format. However, when I try that in
>  > LyX, I see "figure not found" on the screen.
>  >
>  > What's up with that?
>  >
>  > In retrospect, I see I need to do more work in the R script that
>  > manufactures the images, because I think I can stop the pdf output
>  > from including that giant white space at the top of the pdf.  But it
>  > seems weird to have to do that in order to get an EPS output file.
>  >

>  Have you tried specifying a clipping region in LyX?  Might be there's an
>  issue with reading the bounding box info from the PDF (or EPS) (or both).
>
>  /Paul

If I set the bounding box so that a pdf image looks good in the
DVI/postscript output, then it is not properly positioned in the
pdflatex pdf output.

I've been double checking and I do not believe the pdf images have a
big white space in them at the top.  It is appearing to me that LyX
wants to treat an inserted pdf graphic as if it is a thing on its own
8.5x11 inch sized piece of white paper.  WHen I view the pdf in
acroread or evince, there is no big white space at the top and the
properties properly indicate the size of the pdf is 5x7 inches, as I
intended when I created it.
pj

--
Paul E. Johnson