On Fri, 14 Mar 2008, Steve Litt shared this with us all:
>--} I know cut and paste is implemented poorly in Linux, but it's usually
> not this --} bad. Is there any way to improve interprogram cut and paste in
> LyX?

I'm not certain that cut and paste has been difficult in Linux, though I have
had problems doing so in Lyx. Some versions back there was a bug in fact
pasting from other apps to Lyx.

This particular Lyx version does not allow pasting from a terminal in some
instances and does require an intermediary for those occasions. But the
traditional Linux way of copying and pasting <highlight text/ move to program
and scrollwheel or double button mouse click> works well from most/all I have
tried, other programs and applications. In this version of Lyx there is often
a problem where the format of the paste section is lost by pasting through
the mouse way, or pasting with the wrong command from the Lyx toolbar.

I have discovered that the first attempt at pasting from the terminal is quite
often a failure, but any attempts after that work well, through the above
mouse method described or through the Lyx - <Edit/Paste/Selection or
Selection, join lines. This from root or user terminal. As if suddenly Lyx
becomes aware of the terminal and allows highlighting to be recorded by it
there?

I am using Debian testing, so your mileage may vary in Mandrake/Mandriva.
HTH
Charlie
--
Registered Linux User:- 329524
The man who goes alone can start today; but he who travels with another must