Joost Verburg schrieb:

This is more simple as it is only executed when the file is changed:
http://www.lyx.org/trac/browser/lyx-devel/branches/BRANCH_1_5_X/development/Win32/packaging/AltInstaller/specials/PDFViewWin/PDFViewWin.dpr

Does it work with PDF updating (that is, when the PDF viewer is not started by LyX but only the file is updated)? How do you check whether the file has been modified?

I only have one toolbar button to view PDFs. When it is pressed the program checks if the file exists or not and do then the needed things. That there is then only one toolbar button needed has often been discussed in the past. I proposed to do the same also for DVI and EPS, buth there were some arguments that this won't be a solution for Linux users. From the Windows point of view, it is user friendly that I don't have to take care about the correct toolbar button, I click the only one and can view my PDF. What needs to be done in the background is not important for the user.

regards Uwe