On Wed, 26 Mar 2008, Joost Verburg wrote:

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
 (...) I think that if you did some more tweaking on that splash screen
 it'd get quite good. I hope you'll do so!

What about this one?

The copyright notice is less obvious now, I think that's good.

The version number is gone now, do we need it? (A drawback with having it there is that we'd have to remember to change it in every release). Without the version text, there's no clash with the similar fonts of course.

There is something about it that doesn't feel as good as the first... I can't exactly say why.

Bad in splash2 compared to 1:

* The first had a cleaner background which was nice, and somehow feels
  more "generous"

  The first was also nice without any borders or frames.

* There seems to be more vertical space beteween the 'T' and the 'P' in
  the first splash, which looked better.

I tried some modifications:
* A mixture
* Text vertically aligned on the right
* Small copyright text
* Small version text
* I tried to make the stack of paper a
  little more clear at the bottom
  (the stuff at the top is an accident:-)

I uploaded the images to this wiki page:
        http://wiki.lyx.org/LyX/SplashScreen

Some ideas/inspiration:

* http://www.photoshopnews.com/feature-stories/photoshop-splash-screens/
  - various splash screens in Photoshop...

** I like it when they go ''outside'' the borders, that's cool.
   I'm less fond of all huge amount of text...

** What they do in their laters splash scrrens is to illustrate what the
   software can do. Maybe some formulas?

About the platypus, I like the idea of using something based on it, but in the logo I think the beak is too narrow compared to the original- looks too much like a bird. Anyway, that's more related to the logotype.

/Christian