Scott White wrote:
Hello,

I am using LyX 1.5.4 on my Windows XP box.  I am creating some documentation
and will probably be posting it to the intranet in html.  MS Word generated
html works but is pretty lame.  Someone told me about LyX and how great it was
so I decided to give it try.  I open LyX, created a new file, pasted in my word
document and began converting my stuff to LyX.  I quickly fixed my numbered
lists, and added sections, subsections, etc.  After a couple of hours my
document finally started to look presentable.  Somethings still bother me:
1) everything is justified.  How can I change it to left alignment?

Other people will answer this question. But let me say: LaTeX is generally print-oriented, and in that world, justified is the standard. Note that LaTeX microspaces, etc, so this looks proper. If you're going to convert to HTML, it probably doesn't matter, since HTML doesn't do justification, does it?

2) the first line after a section, subsection, subsubsection begins at the left
margin, but the other paragraphs under it are indented ie
Section Name
first paragraph
   second paragraph
   third paragraph

This is normal English typesetting style. If you want no indentation, see Document>Settings>Text Layout. If , contrary to everything any typesetter will tell you, you nonetheless want the first paragraph indented, get the indentfirst package and \usepackage{indentfirst} in your Document>Settings>Preamble.

For what it's worth, I prefer no indentation. But that's just me.

3) when I export to html, a css and html file are generated, I need to keep
this to 1 file.  I found
http://www.mail-archive.com/lyx-users@lists.lyx.org/msg59378.html but I don't
know how or where to run the command.

Which command? If it's some alternative HTML convert business, then the answer is probably: Export to LaTeX; run LaTeX on your exported file; then run whatever the HTML conversion command is.

Of course, you can always just take the CSS file and put it between <style>...</style>.

4) when I test the resulting file for w3 validation it tests as valid, but I
get warnings about NET-enabling start-tag requires SHORTTAG YES on   As I
understand this the  is for XHTML and not HTML so why is this here?

This has nothing to do with LyX and everything to do with whatever HTML converter you are using. See Tools>Preferences>Converters, and look for HTML to see what you're using.

5) finally the resulting html is better than Word but not great, ie:
  //extra space
  // needless new line and extra space
// way too much whitespace

My Document 3

    This is the first line in my document however when the html is generated
     the line gets broken up by spans
Why are there so many spans?  Why is span and class separated by a newline?

Try various converters. Some of them do better than others, and which one does best can depend upon the document. I hear plastex is pretty good.

The nice thing here is: You have lots of options. And if you want to "clean up" the LaTeX a bit before you convert, you can write a perl/python/ruby/sed script to do it for you.

Richard