On Mon, Mar 31, 2008 at 02:31:04PM +0200, Jean-Marc Lasgouttes wrote:
> Sven Hoexter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
> > What's missing is a policy with standards a contributed
> > package has to fulfill to be accepted. I would start with the
> > inclusion of a proper[1] source package so that there is a chance to
> > spot problems and maybe resolve them.
>
> If we know that new versions will be available in a timely manner for
> debian after release, then our policy will be as simple as refusing
> checkinstall-based .debs (IMO).

It's not that easy. Unstable/testing normaly get the packages within
a few weeks. ATM Per is still the only DD in our packaging team so he
needs to find some time to build and upload the package. That wasn't
problem since we took it over about two years ago I think.

The reason why people keep searching for packages from other sources
are the stable releases where only security and other serious fixes will
be integrated.
 Part of the solution is backports.org which is run by DDs with a buildd
network for all major architectures. The problem there is that I'm not a
DD (yet) and Per is not interested in backports and my former sponsor for
backports.org decided to no longer sponsor backports.org uploads.
The workaround are the fine packages provided by Emilio.

> What about Ubuntu? Are debian packages good enough?

Ubuntu is another beast. I don't really understand how and when they
fetch packages from Debian and upload to the universe repository. I've
the feeling that there is nobody in charge to care for the package uploads
and bug reports. For some releases they even provide backports and for some
others not. I think we had at least two different people on the list who
did LyX uploads to Ubuntu.

http://jbot.de/bIAki
According to that I guess they'll release the next long time support release
called hardy with 1.5.3. Dunno why they didn't pick up 1.5.4, maybe it's been
to late in the release cycle or nobody cared.

Maybe they didn't pick it because we've some strange build failure[1] on arm
but they don't release for arm so that shouldn't matter for them.

Anyway that's just wild guessing. Maybe someone on the list feels responsible
and can explain the Ubuntu stuff a little bit more.

Cheers,
Sven

[1] Eventually a compiler problem or a problem with the buildd, we're
    currently waiting for a rebuild with g++ 4.3. http://jbot.de/EjjBA
--
If God passed a mic to me to speak
I'd say stay in bed, world