Bob, Babel matters because the person asking the question seems to be
french. Or at least he speaks french. You cannot hope everybody writes in
english. Dominik solution is for a general case, while yours only work for
the specific case the document is in english.

On Mon, Mar 31, 2008 at 1:35 PM, Bob Lounsbury <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 31, 2008 at 11:52 AM, Uwe Stöhr <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Dominik Waßenhoven schrieb:
> >

> >  > Sorry, I didn't read thoroughly enough. But still, your suggested
> >  > '\renewcommand\bibname{References}' will not work with an article
> >  > class.[1] See the new example I attached.
> >
> >  I don't understand this discussion. My post explains how this can be
> done. You solution doesn't work
> >  because you don't take care of babel.
> >
> >  regards Uwe
> >

> I was just offering another way to 'skin a cat'. But, yes the solution
> I offered *DOES* work.
>
> Aren't the babel steps only necessary if you need to directly specify
> a language other than English? As the babel package is loaded by
> default in LyX and I don't need to specify language options for
> English documents.
>
> Cheers,
> /Bob

Julio Rojas