On Apr 4, 2008, at 9:41 AM, Bob Lounsbury wrote:
On Fri, Apr 4, 2008 at 6:59 AM, Bennett Helm <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

On Fri, Apr 4, 2008 at 6:30 AM, Charlse Darwin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

$ which latex
no latex in ~/WebKit/WebKitTools/Scripts /usr/local/bin
~/Documents/scripts/ /opt/local/bin /opt/local/sbin /usr/bin /usr/ sbin /bin
/sbin /bin /sbin /usr/bin /usr/sbin
$ port info lyx
…
Library Dependencies: qt4-mac, texlive, ImageMagick, python25
$

Am I missing latex? And if so, where do I get it from?

It certainly looks as though you're missing it. (My guess is that if you installed it via macports, it would be in /opt/local somewhere. It used to
be in /opt/local/teTeX/bin, but maybe with a switch to TeXlive, that's
changed to -- guessing here -- /opt/local/texlive/bin. If so, it looks as
though macports failed to set up your paths properly.)

If you really don't have a TeX installation, I'd recommend getting MacTeX
from:

http://www.tug.org/mactex/

Bennett

Isn't there a way to add a PATH to the 'which latex' variable? I'm
pretty sure that Charlse has TeX through the macports TeXlive packages
because of this (that he posted):

$ sudo texhash
texhash: Updating /opt/local/share/texmf/ls-R...
texhash: Updating /opt/local/share/texmf-dist/ls-R...
texhash: Updating /opt/local/share/texmf-var/ls-R...
texhash: Done.
$

And this (now there is a macports texlive_full package if you have space):

$ port installed | grep texlive
 texlive_base @2007_1 (active)
 texlive_texmf-minimal @2007_0 (active)
$

And this (so I think the needed LaTeX packages are available):

/opt/local/share/texmf-dist/tex/latex/base/article.cls

It just seems to me that TeXlive has changed their paths and that
hasn't affected the system properly (I'm a little oblivious to path
stuff :-}).

Does running 'latex' on a '.tex' file work in a shell? Even if it
doesn't I think TeX is installed and Charlse only needs to add
/opt/local/share to his LyX paths and LyX will work even if straight
"latex" doesn't.

I just added /opt/local/share to the Path and now it reads reads:
/usr/texbin:/usr/local/gwTeX/bin/powerpc-apple-darwin-current:/usr/ local/gwTeX/bin/i386-apple-darwin-current:/usr/local/teTeX/bin/ powerpc-apple-darwin-current:/usr/local/teTeX/bin/i386-apple-darwin- current:/sw/bin:/sw/sbin:/opt/local/teTeX/bin:/opt/local/bin:/usr/ local/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin:/opt/local/share

No luck

Which brings me back to my first question isn't there
a way to add /opt/local/share to the 'which latex' PATH?

I also added /opt/local/share to the systems path but still no chance.

$ cat .profile | grep share
export PATH=/opt/local/share:$PATH

$ which latex
no latex in /opt/local/share /Users/pm/WebKit/WebKitTools/Scripts / usr/local/bin /Users/pm/Documents/scripts/ /opt/local/bin /opt/local/ sbin /usr/bin /usr/sbin /bin /sbin /Users/pm/WebKit/WebKitTools/ Scripts /usr/local/bin /Users/pm/Documents/scripts/ /opt/local/bin / opt/local/sbin /usr/bin /usr/sbin /bin /sbin /bin /sbin /usr/bin /usr/ sbin

Since I think his TeX distribution is fine.

/Bob