On Tuesday 29 April 2008, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> I use lyx 1.5.4 with tetex on a Gentoo computer. It works fine;
> I'm thinking about switching to texlive, as tetex seems on a deadend. Has
> anyone done it yet ? Got any problem ? How does LyX work with it ?
> Please let me know

Alain,

I have made the switch on three computers recently, without any major
problems, though it is somewhat of a hassle.  On Gentoo, texlive is divided
into about thirty packages (with the documentation in separate packages).

Your first step should be to look at what is in each one and decide whether
you need it.  I find the best place to quickly get information on packages is
http://gentoo-portage.com.

Next, remove tetex completely (emerge -Ca tetex).  If you have installed
additional packages from CTAN directly rather than through a Gentoo emerge,
it should be left alone in the texmf tree when you remove tetex, but it might
be a good policy to back it up.

Then emerge the texlive packages.  You will need lots of disk space and a fast
internet connection (they total close to half a gigabyte), and you'll
probably get a few blocks.  Solve these by removing the offending package: it
probably is replaced by something in texlive, and if it isn't, you can emerge
a newer version after you have texlive emerged.

Run texhash (not really needed if you don't have any other TeX packages), and
reconfigure LyX.

There is a Howto for doing this on the Gentoo wiki somewhere, but I only found
out about it after I'd done the job, and I haven't read it.

--
Les