On Tuesday 06 May 2008, Pavel Sanda wrote:
> > Your first step should be to look at what is in each one and decide
> > whether you need it.  I find the best place to quickly get information on
> > packages is http://gentoo-portage.com.
>
> please note that there is texmfind utility under gentoo, which helps to
> find appropriate packages for a given classes for texlive, eg: texmfind
> moderncv.cls

pavel,

Yes, that helps when you know what you are looking for.  I had in mind a way
of looking at each package to decide whether you might need it in the future.

For example, clicking on "View" in the dev-texlive/texlive-genericextra page
on gentoo-portage.com shows it contains:
abbr abstyles aurora barr borceux c-pascal colorsep dinat eijkhout fltpoint
insbox mathdots metatex mftoeps midnight multi ofs pdf-trans psfig realcalc
vrb vtex collection-genericextra

Now I don't know what most of these are, but I'm pretty sure I might want
psfig, so I emerge this package.

Les

--
Les