I have just installed the LyX (version 1.5.4) bundle for Windows XP.  Everything
installed successfully.  But now I cannot get LyX to produce any output at all.
 I cannot even execute the first step of the tutorial, where you are asked to
view a simple typed line in "dvi".  When I press on the "dvi" button I get the
following error message:

"LyX: Couldn't export file.  No information for exporting the format DVI."

The same message appears when I attempt PDF or PS.  And when I try opening up
any other file or template I get a variant of the following message:

"LyX: Document class not available.  The layout file requested by this document,
article.layout, is not usable.  This is probably because a LaTeX class or style
file required by it is not available.  See the Customization documentation for
more information.  LyX will not be able to produce output."

I have scrolled through the "Customization documentation" but since I am new to
all of this, I cannot find anything that seems to address my problem.

Can anyone help me?

Alberto