I like the idea of letting LyX keep track of font sizes and such so I
can focus on "what I mean" rather than on "how it looks on paper".

If I can only choose the right words, LyX will make it look pretty.

I could for example write a book or a family news letter that looks good
printed on standard 8.5"x 11" stock. And then decide to change the
document settings for paper size and the output will still look good on
6"x9" paper.

If I were however to use LyX write a book with chapters, footnotes, etc.
I'd like to know I could easily tell LyX to format output for weaker eyes
without destroying all the relative font size differences that it so
wisely set up for me while I concentrated on content instead of worrying
about it's printed appearance.

And if for example I wrote a family news letter to send to all the
extended family members in my addressbook. Including my older sister who
often can't find her glasses. Who gets the large print edition of the
readers digest simply because she doesn't need to find her glasses to
read it. I could select all the standard text sections and force the
font style to use larger font size.

Though that might result in section headings that no longer look larger
than the paragraph text. And if the intended appearance of the newsletter
were to already include places where for example some anecdotic incident
or other was either emphasized and or trivialized via a font size of
"M-s l" or "M-s s" Then each of them would have to again be customized
relative to whatever size I just forced the surrounding standard text to
be enlarged to So if the standard text was enlarged via "M-s l" Then the
anecdote that was emphasized with that setting would need "M-s L" And the
one that was trivialized with "M-s s" might need to be resized with
"M-s n" etc...

Then if I wanted a hard copy that even my eyes I could read without my
glasses I'd probably have to force all the standard text to an even
larger size with "M-s L" which would, for relative consistency, lead to
having to recustomize the anecdotic material with "M-s 8" or "M-s l" etc...

If I gotta do all that I might do as well to write the stuff with open
office where I expect to micro-manage such changes. But I won't, I'd
rather use LyX.

Then I realized that there was a document setting called base size.
Unfortunately it seems that the range of possible base sizes range only
from 10 to 12 pt sizes. I suspect this is because the prevailing wisdom
for "professional" writing is that a business letter should be in 10 pt
type and anything much larger just makes the output look wrong.
But if it were possible to set a base size of say 18 pt I could take ANY
LyX document that looked presentable to non-visually impaired recipients
with a default base size.  And simply applying a base size of 18 I could
then generate reasonable looking output for those of us who simply didn't
eat enough carrots when we were kids.

But since the maximum base size is only 12 pts, I gotta ask if I'm
missing some obvious technique to easily convert a document for a large
print edition without micro managing or losing all the relative font
sizes???

   ##_if_you'd_prefer_an_clearsigned_".asc"_text_file_of_this_##
   ##message_as_an_mime_encoded_attachment,just_ask_me_while__##
   ##it's_STILL_IN_my_outbox_folder_._._._=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+;-)_##
   #gpg sig for: Joe (theWordy) Philbrook DSA key ID 0x6C2163DE#
   # You can find my public gpg key at http://pgpkeys.mit.edu/ #