On Tue, May 6, 2008 at 8:33 AM, jos <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>  Typing has become painfully slow after I upgraded from lyx-1.4.4 to lyx-1.5.3
>  on a machine with fedora core 6: there's a very annoying delay between a
>  keystroke and the appearance of the corresponding symbol on the screen.
>
>  Because a rpm of lyx-1.5.4 is not available for fedora 6, I tried to create
>  my own rpm from the lyx-1.5.4 sources (as described, a bit chaotically,
>  here: http://wiki.lyx.org/LyX/CreatingLyXRPM).
>  However, I can't seem to get configure to understand where my qt4 libraries
>  are:
>  adding --with-qt4-dir=/usr/lib/qt4 to the configure command in the spec
>  file, or setting the environment variables QTLIB or QT4LIB to /usr/lib/qt4
>  doesn't help.
>
>  Does anyone have an idea how to:
>  - either get rid of the annoying typing delay in lyx-1.5.3
>  - or what is wrong with my qt4
>  ($ rpm -q qt4
>  qt4-4.3.2-1.fc6)
>
>  thanks,
>  jos
>  --

I also experienced this 'slowness' on an old iBook with both Ubuntu
and Fedora. Two things help me.

1) LyX 1.5.3, this was much better than the other LyX 1.5* series
(doesn't seem to help you much, although Fedora in general was
extremely slow on my iBook (Debian, Gentoo, and Arch are much better))

2) My xorg was initially set to 24bit color with Ubuntu and Fedora and
changing it to 16bit helped immensely.

Cheers,
/Bob