On 14.05.08, Daniel CLEMENT wrote:
> Thanks for the reply,

> On Tuesday 13 May 2008 10:52 +0200, G. Milde wrote:

> > The best choice (for Inkskape) should be SVG. LyX can be set to support it
> > directly (search for SVG on wiki.lyx.org).

There is even a windows version of Inkskape, so you could use it instead of
Designer for improved portability of the results.

> > > Here is a sample of export formats offered by Designer: AI, PSD, DXF,
> > > MGX, PLT, IGS, PPF, PNG, SCT, EMF (not to mention WMF).

> > Have a look which of these Inkskape supports (do not use the bitmap
> > formats as PNG) and try how it works.

Newer versions of Inkskape can even import and edit EPS and PDF. There might
be some problems, however as these formats miss some information present in
e.g. SVG that is needed (or at least helpfull) in editing but not needed for
printing.

> > OOdraw should also support WMF.

> What puzzles me is that if I open, say, a WMF in OODraw, I get a whole
> block which cannot be separated into its individual components.

I.e. you can annote, overwrite but not really edit :-( This is the usual
behaviour of MS-Windows apps as well: try a Designer-produced WMF on a
MS-Win machine without Designer.

> > > These graphics will appear in documents for printing and pdf output.
> >
> > If you use pdflatex, preferabely save the drawings as pdf (but LyX can
> > be told to convert eps to pdf as well).
> > If you use latex+dvips+ps2pdf, save them as eps (but LyX can be told to
> > convert to eps as well).

> I'm feeling ignorant here: I don't see where to adjust these choices
> (hence, which one LyX selected by default for me)...

LyX will choose the right route, the above was intended as fallback if
there is no 'intermediate' format that works directly with lyx.

GM