I've used Lyx for writing my thesis and it has been wonderful! Everything
works beautifully and I'm ready to submit my final pdf file. However, I just
realized I need to embed all the fonts in the pdf, and I haven't been able
to figure out how to do this.

I've found lots of information on using ps2pdf, but at this point with a 150
page document, I'm worried about the conversion from pdf -> ps -> pdf. Is
there a way to embed the fonts with pdflatex, which is what I'm already
using in Lyx?

I'm checking whether the fonts are embedded using Acrobat (properties) and
pdffonts. There are a scary number of fonts (~100) and most are not
embedded.

I found instructions about pdflatex here:
http://do.whileloop.org/soft/tricks/pdflatex-fonts.php
but it seemed like my pdftex config file is already set to
*pdftexDownloadBase14 true
*but I tried anyway and used the command
*initexmf --edit-config-file updmap*
to edit updmap.cfg and added the following lines:
*pdftexDownloadBase14 true
dvipsPreferOutline true
dvipsDownloadBase35 true
dvipdfmDownloadBase14 true*

But the added lines seem to have no affect on the embedded pdf fonts. Any
help is much appreciated.

(using Windows XP Pro with Lyx 1.5.5, Miktex 2.7 with all updated packages)