Paul A. Rubin skrev:
Rune Schjellerup Philosof wrote:

I'm not sure if it's that simple on Windows. On Windows, Aspell can be installed either for "all users" or for the user logged in during the installation. I think the location of the personal dictionary depends on which choice was made (although I'm not 100% sure of that).
for "all users" ought to only change which users see the program in the start menu and whether registry entries are added system wide or user wide. Then of course you need administrator rights to install for "all users" and you would normally install in a directory where only the administrator has rights to write. I don't think it should change where the personal dictionary would be placed.
I agree that the installer should recognize that, even when other files go into a common location for all users to share, personal dictionaries should be personal. I just don't think the installers necessarily do recognize that.

On the system I'm using just now (XP home), I actually have two personal dictionaries, as an artifact of some previous installation misadventures. One is located in C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Aspell\Personal, the other in C:\Aspell\Personal. (In earlier versions of LyX, we had to install the full Aspell program, and it had to be in C:\Aspell because the absolute path was hard-coded into LyX back then.) In both cases, the file name is en.pws (and there is an associated file en.prepl). The file name will differ if you are using, say, a Danish dictionary. If you install Aspell for one user rather than all users, change "All Users" in the path above to your login name. I'm not sure if this stuff is in the same location on Vista, but I know Vista has Documents and Settings directories somewhere.
I have just checked it thoroughly, and the personal dictionary is placed in C:\ProgramData\Aspell\Personal, which is very stupid.
So why is this stupid someone might ask. Well:
- First of all, this makes it a global dictionary for all users, not that personal. - Second, users are for some stupid reason allowed to create files in \ProgramData and subdirectories, but only the creator is allowed to change the files. Which I assume could create some security issues, and some general anoyance. - Third, since the first users becomes the owner, this is the only one allowed to change the file. But because of some fucked up Vista filesystem, programs not designed for Vista does not recoqnize that they are not allowed to write the file, and they just write it. When a program (not prepared for Vista) writes such a file, it is actually written, however in a different version only seen by this program, and only temporarily....... Which is very anoying.

The personal dictionary ought to be put in C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Aspell\Personal

--
Rune