On 11.06.08, Pavel Sanda wrote:
> > But this is inconsistent with handling of other extensions.
> > Editing in LyX works even without any tex distribution, still
> > reconfigure checks availability of fonts, classes and packages --
> > but not inputenc nor ucs.

> which is a different story then prohibit this encoding ;)

Indeed. My memory told me that choosing non-installed packages or classes was
impossible in former lyx versions. Now, there is a prominent warning in all
these cases:

* the class name is preceeded by "Unavailable: " and a message window
  pops up remainding you again that LyX will not be able to produce
  output.

* missing fonts are marked with (not installed) in the font choosing
  dialogue.

But missing input encodings are not marked (are they?) -- this is what I
call inconsistency.

Günter