Hello Lyx Users,

first of all I have to apologize for asking here about a problem not caused by
LyX itself, but at least it is related since I am writing a rather extensive
technical book using LyX (several hundred pages done already) which contains a
lot of schematics/.eps files imported to LyX, so I hope I am not too off topic
and someone hopefully can help me out.

I generate those schematics from a circuit drawing program as .eps (extended
postscript) files. Sadly that drawing program cannot generate bounding box
information suitable for the LyX graphics import  "cut to boundig box"
dialogue, so I have to run those .eps files through the "bbget" script which is
described here: http://silas.psfc.mit.edu/elec_fig/ (BTW, I tried to contact
Mr. Hutcchinson on the problem, but sadly didnĀ“t succeed to get an answer so
far).

Using ESP ghostscript V7.07.1 as present/used in (old) Debian V3.1r2,
everything works fine, the bounding box information is generated correctly, for
example with a result like:

   60 214 348 379

Now, that certain old ESP ghostscript version is not present with many
current/modern Linux versions, but usually and likely you will find GPL
ghostscript V8.62 instead. Sadly, this current ghostview version extracts
different numbers for the bounding box than the old version, using the same
input file:

   63 214 342 377

which is a smaller box, which in turn cuts small parts off the
schematic/.eps-file to be imported by LyX :-(

There might be several solutions to this problem:

1) manually changing/upping the bounding box values in the LyX bounding box
dialogue, which is cumbersome
2) trying to get the old ESP ghostscript to port/run somehow on current Linux
distributions together with the bbget script
3) finding a functional alternative to the bbget + ghostview method of
generating bounding box information for .eps files

Especially 3) would be of high interest to me concearning the LyX Windows
version I do the most work with, because the current process of:

- drawing schematics using a Windows program, exporting to .eps
- moving the .eps to a Linux machine to run the bbget utility
- moving the changed .eps back to a Windows machine to be imported to LyX
(Windows version)

is a really cumbersome workflow to do with lots of dozens of .eps file.

So, ideally I would be looking for a Windows based method to replace the
bbget/ghostscript stuff, also getting correct bounding boxes again. The second
choice would be to get the bbget script working again with current GPL
ghostscript version.

Any ideas/help appreciated, and sorry again for being only slightly LyX-related

Regards,

   Tom Schlangen