Well, I do not use Excel but OO-Calc.
It reads Excel sheets to a certain degree...

then, after preparing the graph of a table in OO-Calc, I copy the graph to
the OO-Impress (PowerPoint "clone"). This software allows me to export to
jpg in quite high quality.

Well OO is for free...

Anybody with experience of this?

-KB

PS: The people who have the free time to learn a bit gnuplot might want to
export the Excel data into the CVS format, and use the gnuplot graphics,
which can use also jpg or fig or whatsoever... (Sorry)