> Steve Burton wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I've  just spent an afternoon and evening failing to add a language to
>> listings. This is what I have:
>>
>> Lyx 1.5.6 with MiKTeX 2.7 running on Windows XP.
>>
>> I   have  written  a  language  definition  to  highlight  Cisco  IOS
>> configurations and :-
>>
>> put   it   in   a   file   lstlang0.sty  in  C:\Program  Files\MiKTeX
>> 2.7\tex\latex\listings,  refreshed  the FNDB and formats in MiKTeX and
>> reconfigured Lyx. It doesn't appear in the language drop down.
>>
>> Added  the definition to an existing .sty refreshed and reconfigured -
>> same result.
>>
>> Moved  the  files  in  the  listing directory above to somewhere else.
>> Refreshed and reconfigured and Lyx put them back! Same result.
>>
>> I  have read the listing documentation, searched the Lyx users archive
>> and googled extensively but I'm no further forward.
>>
>> I  realize  that  I've  done  wrong and that I'm probably stupid but I
>> can't trigger as much as an error message.
>>
>> Any  help  or  pointers  would  be  appreciated  before  my  mind goes
>> completely.
>>

> I don't know anything about listings, so I probably won't be terribly
> helpful. But the first thing I'd suggest, with this and similar
> problems, is that you try to get it working just with LaTeX. That takes
> any LyX issues out of the mix, at least. If it's not working with LaTeX,
> then at least you know it's a configuration issue there.

> rh

>> Steve.

yes, yes, yes and no!

I hadn't tried this as I don't 'do' LaTeX and it was probably going to
be too complicated. Still nothing ventured...

I  set  up  an editor to run pdflatex on .tex files and found that the
language  couldn't  be  loaded. I then corrected the .sty syntax and I
can now write LaTeX files containing IOS listings and generate correct
pdf's.

This is a great step forward and I thank you for your advice.

However, the language drop-down list in Lyx still doesn't contain
'Cisco' and using the 'language=' parameter doesn't work either. I
did reconfigure and restart Lyx.

Is  there  a  Lyx specific configuration I need to change to make this
work?

thanks again,

Steve.