On 30.07.08, Andre Poenitz wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 25, 2008 at 12:45:38PM +0200, G. Milde wrote:
> > On 25.07.08, Sebastian Rohrer wrote:
> >
> > > I have a relatively large lyx document that does not compile. The error
> > > message is:
> >
> > > "Some characters of your document are probably not representable in the
> > > chosen encoding. Changing the document encoding to utf8 could help."
> >
> > Actually, changing the encoding to utf8 will most probably *not* help
> > (as utf8 is very limited in the range of supported characters).

> Hm?

The encoding setting "utf8" (i.e. utf8.def of the "inputenc" package)
supports only a small subset of unicode characters (mainly latin).
It works e.g. well with German umlauts and other Latin extensions.

However, these are also well supported by LyX internal conversion rules
as defined in the "unicodesymbols" definition file.

"utf8x" (the interface to the "ucs" package) might be a solution for some
characters not "known" by LyX (e.g. for some accented Greek characters used
in polytonic Greek).

Günter