killermike wrote:
Julio Rojas wrote:
Hi, does anyone know hot to handle reprinted material using Bibtex? I
have a book which has been reprinted. Should I add the year of the
original printing to the title? Should I just stick to the reprinted
book information? Or is there a "proper" way to cite reprinted books
using Bibtex.
This is something I have have often wondered about too. For example, if you have a book that was written in 1600 but your copy is a 1976 paperback, what do you put for the date?

The date is supposed to be the publication date. So it depends upon exactly what sort of "reprinting" it is. If it's JUST a reprinting, then the original date will usually be appropriate; if it's more than that, then the later one. Generally, I tend to look at the copyright date and use that, and then you can add a note, as Rich suggested, if that seems appropriate.

In the case you've mentioned, one would suppose there will have been substantial editing and such. So one would put "1976", to identify that particular edition.

rh