Julio Rojas wrote:

> Thank you all for your answers, they have been of great help. Still,
> the main technical question, the how do I do it in BibTeX, remains
> unanswered. Is there a "Note" or "Previously Published" field in
> BibTeX? How do I solve this problem using the available fields?

There are three different problems :

 - edition number. For example, B. Obama, Hope, hope, etc..., New York :
Faber, 2008, 4th edition
You use there the edition field in a bib entry with an integer, most
European styles put the number in superscript after or before the year
(German way). The edition field works with most bibtex styles

 - reprint (meaning a photomecanical reproduction of an old book)

Avicenna, Liber canonis, Venice, 1507 (reprint Hildesheim : Olms Verlag,
1964)

Then you have to use Biblatex that adds to the bib file fields an origyear,
origlocation, origtitle fields for reprint information or translation. The
new chicago biblatex style uses them.

 - translation
J. L. Borges, Histoire universelle de l'infamie, Paris : Christian
Bourgeois, 1985 (orig. Historia universal de la infamia, Buenos Aires,
1935)

Possible with the Biblatex origyear, origlocation, origtitle with some macro
magic.

If the bibliographic style that you want to use does not mandate to put the
reprint / translation information in the footnotes citation but you just
want to add this information at the end of a bibliographic entry in the
ending bibliography then use the note field.