On Sep 2, 2008, at 1:16 PM, Richard Heck wrote:

James Sutherland wrote:

On Sep 2, 2008, at 12:48 PM, Erez Yerushalmi wrote:

Hi all,

I am using LyX 1.5.5 and would like to upgrade to 1.6.

What is the best way to do this?
Should I *un*install 1.5.5 and then install 1.6, or just upload the new,
install it, and it will erase the old?
Or, finally, should I wait a bit longer for another 1.6 version to come,
which is better then the LyX 1.6.0rc2.

Thanks,

Erez

I am running them side-by-side until 1.6 is ready for prime time. I would be very careful about jumping into 1.6 with any critical work, since it is still a bit unstable.

If you are brave, and really excited about trying out the new 1.6 features I suggest trying it out in small steps.

Also be warned that files are not (yet) backward-compatible - meaning anything you edit in 1.6 will not function in 1.5 until 1.57 is released, which will provide backward-compatibility.

Note that doing this means using separate user directories, since the preferences file and the like have different formats. So launch 1.6 using a command like:
/usr/local/bin/lyx -userdir ~/.lyx16/
and put that into a trivial shellscript so you don't get confused.

rh

On Mac, drag the LyX app to somewhere other than where your current 1.5 app is located. The user preferences are stored in a separate folder from 1.5 by default, so you are okay there.

I can't help on the Windows install...