Eli Brosh schrieb:

I attach the LyX file and the DVI output.

The reason is the font that you are using. Times doesn't include the \var***
characters.

In your file you use the encoding "UTF8" that is designed for Chinese, Korean, and Japanese. Either use the language default encoding or an encoding that fits to the language you are writing in. I admit that the encoding names in LyX 1.5 are not self-explanatory. In the upcoming LyX 1.6.0 this is much better.
Nevertheless, Appendix A of the UserGuide of LyX 1.5.6 describes all encodings.

regards Uwe