On Wed, Nov 19, 2008 at 6:01 AM, Maarten Smoorenburg
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I am trying to submit an article for publication by using the copernicus.cls
> class. This class is used by many journals that are published by the
> European Geophysical Union (EGU) and I would like to publish in HESS. I jsut
> wrote the article in a simple article layout and now want to use the
> copernicus.cls class for publishing
>
> Currently, there is no layout file available for the copernicus.cls and
> rather than copy-pasting all my LyX generated LaTeX code paragraph by
> paragraphy to a 'normal' tex editor (e.g., TeXnicCenter), I would like to
> build a LyX layout file. I've read some posts about building layouts, but
> I'm already stuck at the first definition of the class: this is because
> copernicus.cls is an article style class, which has to be called like this:
>
> \documentclass[journal abbreviation]{copernicus}
>
> Now I have 2 questions:
> - how do I set this document class in a layout file?
> - how much time would it cost me, all in all to build such a thing, all the
> way (without any layout programming experience?).
>
> Thanks for your input! Cheers
>
> Maarten S.
> Windows XP, LyX 1.6

The quick and dirty answer (assuming you are in Unix/Linux):

cp /usr/share/lyx/layouts/article.layout .lyx/layouts/
cd .lyx/layouts/
mv article.layout copernicus.layout
edit copernicus.layout with any text editor
change the second line :
# \DeclareLaTeXClass{article}
# \DeclareLaTeXClass{copernicus}
run Tools -> Reconfigure in Lyx menu
restart lyx
create a new document with the class copernicus

All this class environments and commands not existent in article can
be introduced through ERT in LyX.

--
  Andrés