Am 26.11.2008 um 09:39 schrieb Guenter Milde:

Jamesdaff <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> schrieb:

I'm writing an Algebra textbook and I need to show division of polynomials (both long division and synthetic division / Horner's method). I am new to LyX, and have just kind of been stumbling my way through what I need to know to get by. I see there is a cool package on CTAN ("polynom") which would be cool to use, but I have absolutely no idea how I would use that in LyX. Is
it even possible?

You can use it (as almost every LaTeX package) but there is no GUI support
(out of the box).

The installation procedure depends on your system and the LaTeX distribution
you use, but basically means:

1. download
2. put into ~/texmf/tex/latex/ or /usr/local/share/texmf/tex/latex/
  (on a Unix machine)
3. run texhash
4. reconfigure LyX (only for packages recognised by LyX)
  (i.e. not needed for polynom)

To use the commands,

a) read the manual
b) in LyX insert the LaTeX commands in raw mode, "evil red text" (ERT).
  Press Ctrl-l to get the ERT box.

Instead of "evil red text" I would define some math macros which have the ERT in the Latex box and some nice looking placeholder in the LyX box. Of course you won't get real WYSIWYG output in LyX, but that's probably not needed anyway.

Stefan