I am trying really hard to understand how to produce interrupted multi-level
lists in LyX/LaTeX, but I can't seem to find a way to make the wiki
suggestions work. I am preparing lecture notes for a philosophy class and I
need to write down the various steps of various arguments, with main
premises, sub-premises, provisional conclusions, etc. Every once in a while
I need to insert text between the steps to make a more general point before
resuming the argument. For clarity, I need to have the steps labeled with
decimal numbering (i.e.. 1. 1.1, 1.2, etc.)

Here is what I tried:

1. using the paralist package
a. decimal numbering is offered as one of the package options, so no
problems there
b. Could not find a way to interrupt/resume a list. I studied the  package
documentation, but could not find a way. That does not necessarily mean it's
impossible, of course...

2. Using the mdwlist package
a. I redefine the enumerate counters and labels to produce decimal
numbering---no problems there
b. Although the \interrupt \resume commands work from a level 1 item to
standard text, I could not find a way to make it work from a deeper level
item.
That is, I can replicate the example on the wiki::
1. First first level item
2. second first level item
Standard text
3. third first level item

But I *cannot* extend it to do this:
1. First first level item
1.1. First second level item
Standard text
1.2 Second second level item

When I try to adapt the wiki example strategy  to my needs I get LaTex
errors. I am attaching a short sample file below.

Any help appreciated

Cheers,

Stefano
Stefano Franchi
Department of Philosophy          Ph:  (979) 862-2211
Texas A&M University              Fax: (979) 845-0458
305B Bolton Hall                  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
College Station, TX 77843-4237