stefano franchi wrote:
I am trying really hard to understand how to produce interrupted multi-level lists in LyX/LaTeX, but I can't seem to find a way to make the wiki suggestions work. I am preparing lecture notes for a philosophy class and I need to write down the various steps of various arguments, with main premises, sub-premises, provisional conclusions, etc. Every once in a while I need to insert text between the steps to make a more general point before resuming the argument. For clarity, I need to have the steps labeled with decimal numbering (i.e.. 1. 1.1, 1.2, etc.)

Here is what I tried:

1. using the paralist package
a. decimal numbering is offered as one of the package options, so no problems there b. Could not find a way to interrupt/resume a list. I studied the package documentation, but could not find a way. That does not necessarily mean it's impossible, of course...

2. Using the mdwlist package
a. I redefine the enumerate counters and labels to produce decimal numbering---no problems there b. Although the \interrupt \resume commands work from a level 1 item to standard text, I could not find a way to make it work from a deeper level item.
That is, I can replicate the example on the wiki::
1. First first level item
2. second first level item
Standard text
3. third first level item

But I *cannot* extend it to do this:
1. First first level item
1.1. First second level item
Standard text
1.2 Second second level item

When I try to adapt the wiki example strategy to my needs I get LaTex errors. I am attaching a short sample file below.

Stefano,

Does the attached file do the job? If so, the use of mdwlist is overkill (I took it out); just nesting the extra text under the appropriate list level, and making it standard environments (or whatever environment you need) should work.

Incidentally, the LaTeX errors were the result of using \resume{enumerate} right before \end{enumerate} (i.e., resuming the list but then not adding any further items).

/Paul