Maarten Smoorenburg schrieb:

reconfigured a couple of times (all following you instructions in the wiki). But the layout still does not work; error message when starting up the copernicus.lyx layout:
/ "the copernicus class could not be loaded"/

Then you have not installed the LaTeX-package copernicus. It should work when you exactly follow the steps in
http://wiki.lyx.org/Examples/Copernicus

One more comment: I figure you reference to the 'acmsiggraph.zip <http://publications.copernicus.org/Copernicus_LaTeX_Package.zip>' in the wiki is incorrect

I fixed this now. But as it is a Wiki, every fix is welcome, so you are invited to add or correct informations in our Wiki.

And one other thing: I have used BiBTeX with a document with the copernicus.cls class in TeXniCenter and it worked alright...

Can you please send me the LaTeX and BibTeX file you used for this?
For me this doesn't work, also not with the template.tex file that is bundled in the copernicus LaTeX package using plain TeX (not LyX).

regards Uwe