I am using LyX 1.6.0 on OS X 10.5 and I can confirm the behavior of the
Shift-key problem.  If I use the Shift key plus the left and right arrows,
no text is selected, and the arrows simply move left and right as though
Shift were not being held down (same behavior for both left and right Shift
keys).  However, using the Shift key with the up and down arrows works
fine.  This issue is not present in 1.5.6 or 1.5.7.

Charles