Dear listmembers,
I stumbled over (and found the hint in the documentation) that you are forced
to add a whitespace at the end of any raw TeX-insert.

I understand that the TeX - insert is not encapsulated, i. e. it is intended
to have impact on LyX code that follows.

However I would like to ask why LyX cannot insert Whitespace (i. e. a single
blank) at the end of a TeX insert and why a blank _following_ a TeX insert is
not guarded by some means.

Example - (the %-sign stands for start-end of TeX insert within LyX) if you
say

"The difference between %\TeX% and %\LyX% is bla bla ..."

You will end in _no_ space between "TeX" and "and", you will get

".. between TeXand LyXis bla bla ..."

So a fist point would be to add to the (very good!) manual a hint
that "closed" TeX inserts such as %\TeX% should in any case be bracketed to
depict clearly that the following whitespace should be paid attention to.
Simply adding a blank is not enough. You have to say %{\TeX}% to get the
following blank in effect.

Therefore I would like to rise two points you may - or may not - share.

1.) put automatically a blank as whitespace at the end of each TeX-insert
before closing it.
2.) protect a whitespace follwing a TeX-insert if there is one - assume that
the user intentionally puts a whitespace there.

Maybe I overlooked something - but for now I cannot see a good reason not to
do this. I personally think that the results would be closer to what the user
expects. If I insert a blank after a TeX-insert I (personally) expect it to
be intentional and it is hard to understand (not being a TeXnician) why it is
not remaining where I have been putting it to - even worse it is not easy to
know the rule how to avoid that it is vanishing in the dark.

This is just the outcome from some testing - apart from this I like LyX 1.6
very much and the option to have several texts open in parallel is simply
great!

Thank you very much for working on this program,
take care

Dieter Jurzitza

                                \

if you really want to see the pictures above - use some font
with constant spacing like courier! :-)