> What Dieter refers to is that TeX is interpreting a blank as the end of a
> command. I.e., "\TeX and friends" will be parsed as
> "<command>TeX</command>and
> friends". If you want a blank after the command, you must either write
> "\TeX\ and friends" or "\TeX{} and friends" (in ordinary LaTeX), and I
> think
> Dieter wants us to automatically insert "\ " at the end of each ERT (or
> transform subsequent blanks to "\ " automatically). However, as I argued
> earlier, I think such magic will fall back on us, since ERT is used in many
> different ways (not mentioning all the backwards compatibility issues
> involved).

Jürgen and Steve -

You are correct that I misunderstood.  So I guess I sympathise with Dieter,
in as much as what follows:

As far as I am concerned by
abc<ert>\TeX</ert> def
I *mean*
abc\TeX\ def

However, when I tyop a command in powerdot like
<ert>}</ert>
I *mean*
\twocolumns{ my first column }{ my second column }

Perhaps we could add an option to ERT boxes to "respect spaces afer this
ert", in which case a space after the close of an ert would be replaced with
a '\ '?

David