Dear David,
if I get you right you suggest protecting the first whitespace following ERT -
if there is one - the point is that the developers say they do not want to
cope with side effects from ERT as ERT is a "do that if you _really_ know
what you do! And expect side effects on the document!"

The question is not how the whitespace could be protected. The point is
whether it should be protected and whether this would impact other things -
like backward compatibility.

If that's the status then things are as they are - the actual implementation
of a solution for the issue is a minor problem in this regard.

ERT as is today is not encapsulated. If it was it would be easy to protect
everything because you could have "brackets" around the ERT (how they'd ever
look like).

But this is not the intention as sometimes there are good reasons to allow an
ERT entry to impact content that follows.

Thanks for looking into this but the question is a more basic one and the
answers were far from an actual implementation issue, the latter not being
the problem here.

Take care,

Dieter

                                \

if you really want to see the pictures above - use some font
with constant spacing like courier! :-)

*****