Am 07.01.2009 um 10:59 schrieb Jean-Marc Lasgouttes:

[cc:ing to lyx-devel]

"James C. Sutherland" <james.sutherl...@utah.edu> writes:
Okay, I think that I found the problem: I am missing the "xargs"
package.  The exported LaTeX file actually had a line:
        \usepackage{xargs}[2008/03/08]
which I discarded. This is presumably where the "\newcommandx" tag is
defined.  The problem is that when I run LaTeX on the file, I get an
error:
        "File 'xargs.sty' not found"
The LyX file compiles fine, so I must have this file installed, but I
cannot seem to find where.  I have attached the actual .tex file that
LyX produces.  Is anyone else able to compile this?

I think it was an error to rely on such a new package to provide this
functionality. The example document is clearly a case that can be
handled by a plain \newcommand statement.

Could LyX be smarter in the kind of code it exports and only use weird
packages when really needed?

In fact it is supposed to be smart enough.

xargs is only needed if you have macros with optional arguments. Of course, \newcommand could handle the case with one optional. But, what we need in fact is something equivalent to \global\def for this case. Is there a way to do this with \newcommand?

Stefan