Tao Cumplido wrote:
>[I wrote:]
>> Is that a bug? "file:C:\file.txt" is not a valid URL. It should be
>> "file:///c:/file.txt". (Actually, even that isn't strictly valid; the
>> "c:" ought to be "c|". But everyone uses and supports "c:".)
>
> Ok that kind of works.
> But how am I supposed to know that the directory has to be written like this?
> There's no mention about this in the Hyperlink-chapter of the manual.

Yes, it'd be nice if the LyX documentation discussed file-scheme URLs
in the material on hyperlinks.

file-scheme URLs give many Windows users trouble, especially because
some Microsoft software (notably IE and Explorer) have very sloppy
rules for handling them. In theory, you could figure out how to write
them by reading the URI specification (IETF STD0066, if memory
serves), but it wouldn't be easy.

Jukka Korpela has a discussion on file-scheme URLs, including some
notes about how to use them on Windows, here:

http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/fileurl.html

> Well, the PDF is processed and it works except in Acrobat where
> Firefox opens with an empty tab, but I guess that's an Acrobat problem?!

This could be the result of the stricter same-domain policy in
Mozilla-based browsers, combined with something to do with how Acrobat
is invoking Firefox. There's a short comment on that on Jukka's page.
There's not much that can be done about it; it's a security measure,
so it's supposed to be difficult to circumvent.

By the way, you can ignore the bit I wrote above about using "c|"
instead of "c:". That's no longer allowed by the current URI
specification. A strictly-correct file-scheme URL on Windows would use
"c%3a" for the drive letter and colon.

--
Michael Wojcik
Micro Focus