Guenter Milde wrote:
On 2009-02-05, Abdelrazak Younes wrote:
Guenter Milde wrote:
In my view, to use LaTeX as exchange format,
LyX development should

a) concentrate on an improved LyX -> LaTeX -> LyX cycle (with the aim to get this round-trip lossless) and

b) encourage development/improvement of LaTeX converters (to/from
   OOffice, HTML, reStructuredText) that emphasise preserving the
   semantic over visual appearance.

Anyone thinking of doing this kind of thing should probably look at plastex, which provides a sort of LaTeX parser written in Python. That would pretty easily give you one direction.

In my view LateX is too specialized and complicated for an interchange
format.  reStructuredText or any other simple markup language would be
just fine IMHO.

But LaTeX is "feature complete", while reStructuredText is even missing
math support (not to speak of paragraph alignment, tables,
citations or a glossary).

Yes, to me, that's a deal breaker as far as using ReST goes. And I don't really see that their development goals will ever lead to a situation where ReST is feature complete, in that sense. So my own view, for what it's worth, is that a greatly improved LaTeX<-->ODT converter is needed, one that "preserves semantics", or else a direct LyX<-->ODT converter is needed. There seem to be some existing python tools for reading and writing ODF, so those could perhaps be used.

rh