On Mon, 2009-02-16 at 12:13 +0000, Guenter Milde wrote:
> On 2009-02-09, Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
> > I'm using LyX 1.6.1 with TeXLive 2007 on Linux (Gentoo).
>
> > I created a new document using the "article" class and selected "Greek"
> > as language.  The document is a mix of English and Greek, but there's a
> > problem: even though English words appear correctly in LyX, the final
> > PDF output shows English using the Greek alphabet.  For example, instead
> > of "executive", I see "εξεςυτιε".
>
> Greek text can be input either with the correct unicode chars or with a
> Latin transcription (this is a feature to help people without a Greek
> keyboard and pre-dates Unicode).  This is why LaTeX will typeset English
> text with Greek letters if it believes it to bee Greek text.
>
> You need to tell LyX which parts of the document are Greek and which are
> English:
>
>   Select the English text and choose Edit>Text style>Custom>Language English
>
> (Subsequent parts can be changed easier by selecting and clicking the
> "Font" button right of the Emphasis and Small-Caps button or with Alt-x
> textstyle-apply)
>
> If you happen to need this feature regularely, define a keybinding for
> setting the text language to English or Greek.
>
> As the other way round (some Greek words in a non-Greek text) is the more
> common case (outside Greece), it works with recent LyX versions. (BTW:
> there is also planned/prepared support for polytonic Greek characters
> from the "Greek extended" Unicode block.)
>
> This is the base for the proposed workaround to set the document to
> English and re-defining the headings etc. in the preamble. However, this
> is only advisable for existing documents with lots of Greek/English
> changes and lack of time to fix them.
>
> Günter

Guenter,

there is also another problem with the "workaround" I propose: the
bookmarks (when the user selects them to be created in a pdf exported
document) are not "greek", so you can't really read them. So, the
keybinding solution is best currently [for _new_ documents... because it
is an endless work to redefine the language for existing
documents :-) ].

Kind regards, Nikos