Edgar Ataíde wrote:
I am a newbie to Lyx, but I have several difficulties that I cannot
overcome. I made the complete installation of MiKTeX. I verified if
all the packages, available in MiKTeX, were installed namely Jhep.
For my surprise this package (article, book, report) is not available
in LyX, Document ->Settings -> Document Class.

I have JHEP installed, but as far as I can tell it's just one document type (I assume article). In any case, LyX does not come with a layout file for it (at least not that I can find), so you would need to find (or create) one. See section 5.2 of the Customization manual.

Another aspect that I
do not understand is that the Springer styles appear in Lyx at
Document ->Settings -> Document Class as unavailable although they
appear as "found" in the "Latex Configuration" (I attached this file
in my mail).

Your configuration file apparently was not attached. However, I have the same thing -- my configuration file lists them as found. In point of fact, I don't think I have them installed (at least I cannot find them, nor can I find a MiKTeX package that would contain them). I wonder if the LyX configuration script has a bug in it creating a "false positive" here.

In any event, if you need these classes, you can download and install the LaTeX packages manually from CTAN (Customization, section 5.1), run MiKTeX's Settings application and click "Refresh FNDB" (this is the equivalent of running texhash as described in the Customization manual), then load LyX, run Tools > Reconfigure, and restart LyX. That should (hopefully) make the document classes available.

Another error I cannot overcome is the following:

I need to use xypic package. To train myself, I tried to make some
diagrams that are in XY-pic manual, namely the diagram that is at the
bottom of page 3. This particular diagram gives me the following
error, when I try to make the PDF output:

"TeX capacity exceeded, sorry [input stack size=5000]".

I'm not sure, but I think sometimes syntax errors in the source document lead to that error message. I'm attaching a LyX file containing the diagram. Try it with your installation. If the PDF output comes out correctly, compare the document contents to your version and see if perhaps you can find a discrepancy. (View > Source is a good way to do this -- it will show you the LaTeX code that LyX will emit.)

/Paul