,
It would appear that on Mar 9, Guenter Milde did say:

> On 2009-03-09, Joe(theWordy)Philbrook wrote:
>
> > One of my computers is running lyx 1.6.1 on which I
> > recently wrote a couple of documents. Then I had occasion
> > to modify one of the .lyx files on a different linux box.
> > But the available version of lyx was only 1.5.6 and when I
> > tried to open the document I was informed that it had been
> > created by a different version of lyx. And that the
> > lyx2lyx script had failed. <sigh>

> LyX 1.5.6 pre-dates 1.6.1 and hence the conversion script does not know
> how to handle the new format.

Yeah, that makes sense. Conversely then I expect when ver 1.6.1 opens a
document from ver 1.5.6, it recognizes the old format and converts it
so silently that I didn't know it had even run this lyx2lyx thingy.

> > Is there a way to tell lyx 1.6.1 to save in an older lyx format?
>
> Yes. File>Export>Lyx and then choose the desired version.

Good. Then at least if I KNOW I'll need to access the durned thing
ahead of time...

> > OR is there a conversion script that can convert a
> > (lyx version 0.6.1).lyx  file into something lyx 1.5.6 can open???

> Yes, the lyx2lyx script of 1.6.x and 1.5.7 can do this.
>
> You can
>
> * upgrade to 1.5.7 (save but maybe not possible)
> * replace the lyx2lyx dir with the version from 1.6.x or 1.5.7.
>   (on your own risk, backup the original),
> * place the lyx2lyx package in usr/local/, say and call "by hand".

I don't think the one from 1.5.7 can handle it else I wouldn't have
had the error that got me to start this thread. But if the one from
1.6.1 can be called by hand, AND doesn't depend on specific libraries
that are only installed on the Linux that has lyx 1.6.1, then It
might be smart to at least put a copy of it in my ~/bin on the other
linux installations... Then If I happen to forget to export after
editing with the one instance of lyx ver 1.6.1 I'll still be able to
access the document when I'm using a different linux box.

  (For assorted reasons I multi-boot several versions of
   linux. On Both my desktop AND my laptop. I never really
   know ahead of time which one I'll be using when I find
   the time to work on a book I'm trying to write.)

The biggest problem should be that I have about a half dozen .lyx files
that I open all at once via a script when I work on the story.  But
since that script finishes by backing up my .lyxfiles to a usbstick from
which I can import the latest changes to my laptop, then I suppose
that the version of the script on the linux with the lyx ver 1.6.1
could also" mv ${filename}.lyx ${filename}-v161.lyx, then invoke
lyx2lyx to save the lyx 1.5.6 version as ${filename}.lyx... That way
my script will always open the 1.5.6 compatabe copy.

NOTE: I just did a little testing and this can be made to work. But
it's not quite as simple as you described...

I found the lyx2lyx script and copied it's whole directory to a data
partiion. But when I ran:

cd ~/lyxstuff
/mnt/lyx2lyx/lyx2lyx -t 276 -o ${filename}.lyx ${filename}-v16.lyx

It coplained that /mnt/unicodesymbols wasn't there and output a zero
length ${filename}.lix file. But when I inserted all the non directory
files from /usr/share/lyx it worked.