On Mon, 6 Apr 2009 08:42:49 +0200
Jürgen Spitzmüller <sp...@lyx.org> dijo:

> John Jason Jordan wrote:
> > Suppose I have a font that contains a character at a certain code
> > point. I want to insert this character directly into text. There is an
> > lfun "insert-unicode," but it doesn't work.
> >
> > Could someone who is smart give me a step by step? I mean, what button
> > do i click on and then what do I enter and where?
>
> First, hit Alt-x. This opens an input widget on the bottom of the screen and
> puts the cursor in. There, type
> unicode-insert <codepoint>
> and hit return. <codepoint> is something like 0x0259

Perfect!

Except it didn't quite work. :(

Alt-x is what I was missing. Once I got the window open I typed in
several characters. Actually I needed the word 'bitch' in IPA. So I
typed on the main screen [b, then Unicode 0x026a, then t, then Unicode
0x361, then Unicode 0x0283, then ]. It all appeared fine on the main
screen - [bɪt͡ʃ]. Iit should have worked fine.

But I am using XeLaTeX so I can use a specific font that has the IPA
characters I need. So after entering the word I exported to
LaTeX (pdflatex) to get a .tex file, and then used XeLaTeX to convert
it to PDF. The export to pdflatex went fine, but at the end of the
XeLaTeX command I got

! Missing number, treated as zero.
<to be read again>
l.29 $\insert-u
               nicode\{026a\}$
?

In other words, it puked when it got to the first character that I
entered with unicode-insert.

So I'm getting closer, but still not quite there. I guess this is a
problem in XeLaTeX, but I don't know what to do next.