What is your locale set at?  My /etc/sysconfig/i18n has the line

LC_MEASUREMENT=en_AU.UTF-8

You should be able to set your locale with administrative tools, or with KDE.

If you are in the States, and want to keep inches for everything else, I don't
know what you could do.  You may need to compile Lyx (or Latex) specially.

Doug.