On Fri, Apr 17, 2009 at 8:53 AM, Rainer M Krug <r.m.k...@gmail.com> wrote:

> 1) I like the lyx format as it is BECAUSE it is not compressed, so I
> would definitely not change the default format.

Ok, maybe I didn't make myself clear: you can have self-contained archives
with no compression at all on OSX. It works like this: you make a directory
and in that directory you dump a special file that tells finder to display
the directory as a package.

But from the command line, it is still a directory. And in finder, you can
look into the package by choosing "Show Package Contents" from the pop up
menu.

Now Pages files for example come as such "packages", you can copy that
directory around, send it through email (yea, email clients handle it
surprisingly well), and it still works.

Now, other operating systems see a directory and not a package. People using
something other than OSX would have to be reminded to copy the directory
around the .lyx file around, which would be managed by lyx.

The file would still be accessible, no performance penalty, but complete
send-aroundability, and while it might feel a little alien on other OS's, on
OSX it's the standard way to do such things, so OSX users will cheer.

cheers,

niko