Sorry, Jurgen, it did not help. Perhaps I did not understand what you meant by:

7. Somewhere in the document, put a bibtex bibliography inside a comment or
note.

I think I have followed your suggestion exactly, but I am getting "undefined control
sequence" error for each of the \putbib statements.

EK

Jürgen Spitzmüller wrote:
Ehud Kaplan wrote:
   1. I read the documentation on sectioned bibliographies (an unusual
      step!)

Note that this documentation (and LyX's support) is restricted to bibliographies that are themselves divided into sections (e.g., primary and secondary literature), whereas you rather want bibliographies per section. This task is not yet natively supported (but it's possible with the steps listed here).

   2. I made two copies of my master *.bib file, with two different names
   3. I checked the "Sectioned bibliography" in the Document/settings
   4. I added to the preamble \usepackage[dot]{bibtopic}

Step 4 is not needed. LyX will add this line automatically

   5. I put a pair of ERT commands: \begin{btUnit} ... end{btUnit}
      around the two main sections of the paper
   6. In each section I have inserted just before the \end{btUnit} a
      bibtex bibliography.

6. In each section, insert just before the \end{btUnit} in ERT:
   \putbib[<bibfile>]
   where <bibfile> is the name of the bib database, without file suffix.

7. Somewhere in the document, put a bibtex bibliography inside a comment or note.

HTH,

Jürgen