dear all,

I'm trying to format my MA thesis for publication and am stuck with a problem:
I can't get lyx/latex to split all of my footnotes.
It's not that no footnote gets split but a whole bunch of very large
footnotes (some more than 20 lines) just don't split at all and are
causing some half a page white space or ugly ragged bottoms or (if I
flexibilize the parskip command with plus and minus) huge spaces
between paragraphs.
I tried everything but it doesn't work. I have in the latex preamble:

\interfootnotelinepenalty=0
\flushbottom

One solution that worked more or less was to put widow- and orphanpenalty down
right now it's:
\widowpenalty=10000
\clubpenalty=10000

but even a value of 9000 would produce a whole bunch of unnecessary
widows (no orphans though) that could have easily been solved with
splitting footnotes. It seems that Lyx (or Latex) just doesn't like
split footnotes even with that penalty 0 and the widow 10000.

Any help how I can oblige the program to split my footnotes??

Thanks a lot

jan