On Tuesday 14 July 2009 01:26:24 pm Rich Shepard wrote:
> On Tue, 14 Jul 2009, Steve Litt wrote:
> > ... second only to indexing, which I equate with working in a sceptic
> > tank.
>
> Steve,
>
>    Perhaps that's a reflection of the book's contents? When I was told that
> Springer would not hire a professional indexer and I had to do it myself, I
> made it my business to quickly learn how and to do the best darn job of it
> that could possibly be done. As far as I'm concerned, a technical book is
> worthless without an outstanding index. After I went through the text
> several times marking index entries, I then did it again very slowly asking
> myself what other word or phrase someone could possibly use that would
> never occur to me (the author and subject matter expert). _That_ took a
> long time and a lot of effort, but I considered it crucial to the success
> of the book.
>
>    I think of index creation as a major part of what I own the purchaser
> and reader.

Yes, I didn't want to imply otherwise. What I was trying to get across is that
it's as DISTASTEFUL as working in a sceptic tank. And, as you bring up, it's
also as NECESSARY to do well as it is necessary to fix a sceptic tank well.

StevET

Steve Litt
Recession Relief Package
http://www.recession-relief.US