Hello Johannes,

Follow the instructions on:
http://www.lyx.org/HowToUseSVN
to download the code (note that you need the code in branches/ BRANCH_1_6_X to compile LyX1.6).
Then follow the instructions on:
http://www.lyx.org/trac/browser/lyx-devel/branches/BRANCH_1_6_X/INSTALL.MacOSX
There are better ways to get universal binaries etc, but the instructions should give you something that works on your computer. (B.t.w. I use QT 4.4.3, I think there was a problem with the latest version. Bennet can give you details)

Good luck!
Anders